Sunday, September 19, 2010



I did not even mentally account for the fact that it could be inhospitable biking weather in Ann Arbor last weekend, but Nick and I brought our bikes, and bike we did through the grit and cold and pouring rain. We got to enjoy a Billy Bragg show that was life-changing (an expression I use judiciously, so you know I must have been spazzing out like a moth trapped between screen and glass).

It’s embarrassing to explain because I can’t remember the last time I had an analogous “experience” , but the tent revival fervor I felt on Saturday after the concert has been replaced by an eerie wash of calm. It’s been a really strange few days up in my head cavity. Like trauma, like love, like grief - I’ve been hoping no one asks about it because I don’t know what to say. (No one asks, because, well, it was just a concert.)

I’ve been accused of being only fit for college towns, pathologically charmed by cobblestone, record stores, and co-operative locavore restaurants. Ann Arbor did not disappoint. And despite its reputation, I did not find it promiscuous in the least.

4 comments:

  1. If I were better-educated and more awake, I'd write an essay about the misogyny of describing a city as a "whore."

    Instead, I'll just say OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH, I LOVE Ann Arbor; my grandparents live there, so I associate it with Christmas vacation and excitement. It was the first college town I ever experienced.

    Congratulations on having your mind blown by a fabulous concert. There's nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Columbus - it's an awesome intersection of state capital, small town, metropolis, college town, etc. But since the college football fans make the most noise, they can end up the face of the city. Oy.

    But yeah, Ann Arbor is tops. The last time I was there I was 14, newly vegetarian. My cousin, a then-grad student, took me to Seva, the vegetarian restaurant. A whole restaurant menu of things I could eat! Holy shit! My adolescent mind was blown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So the first thing the Google search pulls up is a site to buy the t-shirt. Quote, "Show the world your thoughts on this well-traveled lady." Someone is a very decorous copy-writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ana - Who wouldn't want to be a well-traveled lady? That IS classy copy. =)

    ReplyDelete