Monday, November 1, 2010



"Check my caaaaape"

Holidays elicit introspection, and usually at Thanksgiving or Christmas it doesn't help that said introspection is happening at your folks' house, surrounding you with the trappings of your youth as you enumerate all the ways in which you have let your child-self down. Achem.

Halloween did allow for some nonspecific life-evaluating among the candy and the rum-cider and the masks and silliness. And holy shit, my life is so much better than it was last year around this time. I have a great job where I get to be creative and work for social justice, and my coworkers and supervisors support and encourage me. I'm afforded paid time off and health insurance, which sadly are not a given in this country and in this economy. My friendships now are strong and warm, my boyfriend puts up with me, even though I turn into a banshee when my blood sugar is low (also, sometimes for non-glycemic reasons!) My candid, funny family. My spandex-clad health.

I say this not with smugness, but with the gasping, choking relief of someone who held her own head under water for months without knowing it.

1 comment:

  1. Cute costume!

    Survivor, I'd like to shake your hand. You've come a long way in the past year.

    ReplyDelete