Monday, November 22, 2010

I spoke too soon. Last night I dreamed that it was an hour before the wedding and Nick and I hadn't bothered to write the ceremony. I sat with my laptop furiously scribbling a favorite e.e. cummings poem, "somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond" onto a scrap of paper to give the officiant. The rain had forced the event inside, and Nick and I stood in front of the piano bench in the living room of my childhood home. We kept trying to begin the ceremony, but all our guests were loudly discussing sports and punching each other in the shoulder like a 7th grade homeroom.

After clearing my throat several times, I told Nick we should just sign the marriage certificate and start serving dinner. I wore yellow. It was terrible.

A nightmare to be sure, but I should probably remember to have someone read that poem! Thanks, terrifying dream.

2 comments:

  1. At least it wasn't inside a mall this time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I woke up certain that it had happened, that I was waking up on Married Day 1. Then I realized it was a dream and looked forward to more sleep. Then I realized I had only pre-empted my alarm by three minutes.

    ReplyDelete