Monday, November 29, 2010

In which I jinx myself by calling for a "next time"..

I would call it "frugality" but that suggests noble thriftiness, when really it is more fittingly "being a giant baby".

This summer, late for work comme d'habitude, I clipped a dumpster with my car in the alley behind my house, loosing the passenger side mirror. Unable to pop it back into its socket, my car remained indefinitely down a mirror. So I cut a wide berth when changing lanes and didn't worry too much about it.

Then a month ago, some anonymous genius swiped my driver's side mirror hard while the ol' girl was parked on the street. The mirror casing was shattered and the mirror was in crumbles. The car, fully operable, was completely unsafe to drive without either mirror. I crowdsourced via Facebook and was reminded that a friend has a mechanic boyfriend who occasionally takes on jobs like this for friends for extra cash, and at a dramatic discount compared to body shop rates. My friend gave me instructions and a quote and I dropped the car off at their house.

Four weeks of spotty communication later (I mean, we are all busy, but you would think this guy was deep in the bush doing ethnographic Pontiac Vibe research, beyond the reach of even the most state-of-the-art data package), I have my little car back. I am thankful for the expertise and the work done (how gravely the world would suffer if everyone "did the Internet" for a living, like me) but I think next time, I will swallow the upfront cost and take it to A Real Place, one that quakes at the threat of a savage Yelp review. That's right, next time I will pay money to not have my life be stupid for a whole month. (Also it would be remiss if I didn't mention that Nick basically gave me his car/drove me everywhere for a month. It's not even because he loves me. He would do it for anyone. You, probably.)

2 comments: