Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fast rainbow slaw

Last week, Caitlin inspired me with her Recipe Wednesday stuffed peppers post, so I thought I'd contribute to the body of work.

I made this slaw for a work potluck last week, and have been using the leftover ingredients to make a grad-school-widow one-bowl version of it basically every night since.

Half head of red cabbage, shredded
Half head of green cabbage, shredded
Big handful of shredded carrot. If you can find the bags of matchstick carrots already sliced up, that's ideal.
Palm-sized amount of sliced red onions. You might want to quick-pickle these or use diced scallions if raw onion hurts your feelings.
Half of one jicama, sliced If you are the sort of cool-kid gourmand who has jicama laying around like it's no big, I didn't, but it'd be a light, crisp addition.
Fresh cilantro, en masse because cilantro tastes like summer.

Dressing:
1/3 c olive oil
1/3 c lime juice

Pinch powdered ginger
Pinch chili flakes or chili powder

Toss the veggies well. Combine dressing ingredients thoroughly, drizzle over slaw. Allow slaw to marinate, chilled, for several hours. Put in face.

1 comment:

  1. Yum!!! I'll be trying this very soon!

    (And thanks for keeping the tradition alive, as I obviously failed miserably this week...)

    ReplyDelete