Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Summer watermelon salad

Last week it was Michelle's birthday and I forgot that her celebration was technically a potluck until after I got off of work that day. So I hoofed it to the grocery store two blocks from my house and threw together my go-to summer picnic salad.

1/2 of a small watermelon, less of a large watermelon
4-5 tomatoes
fresh mint
Crumbled feta
Balsamic vinegar

Cube the watermelon. I like to also cube the tomatoes by shearing off all the round edges to make a sort of tomato polygon, then quartering the weird tomato block you've created. This way, when the tomato and watermelon chunks are combined in a bowl, they are nearly indistinguishable. Fun! (For me.)

Combine in bowl. Add crumbled feta, in moderation or not. Tear up 5 or 6 mint leaves and sprinkle over top. Drizzle with good balsamic vinegar and gently combine.

This guy doesn't look very pretty if it hangs out for too long, so it's really best prepared right before it's going to be eaten. Or, slice the fruits ahead of time and keep them separated.

(Past recipes, here.)

1 comment:

  1. That sounds all kinds of yummy. Mmmmm feta....balsamic...nice.

    ReplyDelete