Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A sanctimonious stand

My friend Matt, who is an unassuming and anxious sort besides, popped in on me yesterday! I loved it.

Maybe it wasn't a true pop-in, as I'd posted on my Facebook page that anyone was welcome to join me on my (unseasonably) cold stoop while small costumed humans approached, arms outstretched. Beggars' night fell on Monday this year, same night as Nick's evening class, and a lone adult in cowgirl get-up handing out candy in the cold seemed lonely and strange. I wasn't sure anyone would be game, as they have their own porches to man.

He apologized for taking me up on my public invitation (silly) and I was only briefly mortified by a sink blooming days-old dishes.

I am loath to make "technology ruins everything" statements, but can I get you to agree to a few terms for our bright future of unprecedented connectivity? When you reach a residence where you are more or less expected, don't text your arrival from the front door. If you beat your friends to the bar, don't make a lap and then feign rapt attention to your phone outside. Can we just be publicly bored sometimes - write lists, inspect our cuticles, flirt with the bartender?

And most importantly, please pop in. I'll feed you and we can watch bird documentaries until your bus comes.

4 comments:

  1. It should be noted that Michelle took pity on me and came over to pass out candy also. Michelle, you rule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When you reach a residence where you are more or less expected, don't text your arrival from the front door."

    This seems like an entirely reasonable stance.

    "If you beat your friends to the bar, don't make a lap and then feign rapt attention to your phone outside. Can we just be publicly bored sometimes - write lists, inspect our cuticles, flirt with the bartender?"

    Maybe! It might depend how secure we are in our coolness, or how far we've come in accepting our lack thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rebekah Rereading that, it does seem biased against introverts. I am advocating for all manner of public boredom though, like bus stops and doctor's offices where people often wait regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!

    But I do understand the scaredy-pants need to text. (I say scaredy-pants with all love, my older sister is crazy intro.)

    ReplyDelete