Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Superlatives, 2011

Norma! You cut that out.


This year I began practicing yoga weekly, got a promotion, planned a wedding, got married, set foot on my third continent (three to go! Sorry, Antarctica), and hiked the Inca trail to Machu Picchu. Those sound the most accomplishment-like, but it feels like a cheap win to brag about things that sort of happened incidentally (my boss quit) or were fun (yoga, honeymoon). So I've written some superlatives more telling of 2011:

Most disciplined act: My progress towards becoming a reformed cuticle-picking nailbiter. I have a bizarre conviction that having unmolested fingernails is the height of grown-up-lady poise and excellence. Working on it! (One day at a time, as we say in Nailbiters Anonymous, my fictional one-member support group)

Most fun: Singing Hall & Oates' "Rich Girl" in drag to an enthusiastic crowd of crossdressed friends at my bachelor party. (Getting married was heavy and dreamy, but I wouldn't say it was "fun".)

Biggest life change: Nick leaving his third shift job of 5 years in March to become a teaching assistant in his graduate program. This has had a much more palpable impact on our day-to-day lives than getting married due to 1.seeing each other and 2. not not seeing each other.

1 comment:

  1. Umm, you're badass.

    I bit my nails all the damn time when I was younger. It was painstaking to quit and I hated it. I went to nailbiting after I had to quit thumb-sucking. LAME. Addictive personality at five.

    YAY bachelor party crossdressing!!!

    ReplyDelete