Monday, January 30, 2012

Sixty

Dad in the Alps, on their honeymoon.

Saturday was my dad's surprise 60th birthday party. I had so much fun that I didn't take a single photograph, of course. Oh, well.

The piano was banged on all night. There were cigars on the porch, a cooler full of my aunt's homebrews and pulled pork sandwiches. Nick played chess against precocious six-year-olds and I chatted up my cousins and aunts and uncles. You don't get to catch up with the guests much during your own wedding, it turns out.

Not to be grim, but I'm aware more than ever that I'm not guaranteed a certain amount of time with any of my loved ones. So here's to parties, and paper plates, and little kids breaking shit, and crude jokes, and cake from the grocery store. I love it all to bits.

1 comment:

  1. "I'm not guaranteed a certain amount of time with any of my loved ones"--hence, we're going home for spring break. to be surrounded by family-- the loud, annoying, hilarious, loving family that I can hardly bear to live apart from.

    ReplyDelete