Monday, April 2, 2012

The ones that never knock


Staff photo, 2010

For the past few years, I've been in a marketing/development role at a local microfinance nonprofit. I don't talk about work much here, and that's by design. Telling the "impact" stories would feel a lot like speaking on behalf of my organization and telling the juicy spit-take office horror stories? Well, that wouldn't be polite. I find the field fascinating though problematic, and I found my JOB to be unchallenging yet incredibly stressful.

"In this economy" (barf), it's become gauche to air grievances about your job. All bitching must be swiftly hedged by the caveat "of course, I shouldn't really complain.." I happen to think a little griping (not to be confused with whining) about work is positive, especially for women and other marginalized populations. It prevents us from normalizing injustices,"it's probably the same at every job.."

I'm not being flippant about how much it plumb sucks to be out of work and of course all workplaces do come with challenges. However, individuals should not be mistreated nor should groups of people be systematically mistreated in any economy. There's nothing wrong with peeling back that poster and secretly chip-chip-chipping away with your little rock hammer, like Andy Dufresne.

The older I get, the less trapped I feel because I know how quickly things will change and die. Most of it is out of my hands, even. Funny, I used to think getting older meant the years slowly wind themselves about your ankles, tethering you to one spot like some old bitter circus tent. Shows what I knew.

5 comments:

  1. The circus tent could still work. They are built to stand strong on any terrain and move daily. Flexibly stable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the risk of sounding like a terrible suck-up, I think you're absolutely gorgeous. In every picture, you just look striking and important and... nifty? As if it's only a matter of time before we start seeing your portrait on black and white postcards at Barnes and Noble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If I was able to graciously accept compliments, I'd say "thanks, friend" but I will instead point out that 90% of pictures of me will never see the light of internet. Never!

      Delete