Saturday, January 12, 2013

The young year

"Wax on snow" candymaking at New Year's Day brunch
A quick note to say, I'm really into this year so far. Usually, winter is a condition for me, a leaden coat worn four months straight, five months in worse years. This winter, I feel lit up from inside, humming along like a neon sign. I feel light. I feel....that the floors should be swept even though it's 12:30 a.m. and I have to work the next morning. I feel warm in my house even when it's cold. I'll sit wrapped in just a towel, dark wet ponytail dripping down my shoulder, checking e-mail. An afghan is tossed at my head. "Why did you do that?" "Because it makes me cold to look at you."

I had drinks with Claire on Wednesday, saw Brigit, Dana, Michelle, Ana, and Erin yesterday. I saw my funeral home yoga friends - our class is on hiatus as both funeral home employees, through whom we were able to access our "studio" (viewing room), became pregnant last summer. I'm meeting some former co-workers from my old job for happy hour next week. I feel like I've been gone, I'd been so up in my head. I see friends and I want to swallow them whole, to sit in their laps, practically. I'm here, now. What have I missed. Tell me everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment