Friday, August 16, 2013

A hobby?

quilttada on Make A Gif
Before this summer, I hadn't made a quilt since I was in high school. I used to stitch together quilt tops cut from my mom's scrap fabric and weird shirts I picked up at Village Thrift. They were truly ugly, calico creations too odd-shaped and square to sleep under. How is it that I was so busy then and yet so crucified by boredom every single day. The hours between dinner and bedtime were a yawning, dark canyon of time. There was less internet then, and it was dial-up and made angry sci-fi sounds and I had to share it with four other people. So I made ugly quilts, I guess, after I mapped out how I'd do my homework the next day during school and before the Daily Show came on at 11 p.m.

When Sjanneke told me she was pregnant, I knew I was going to make a baby quilt. This is because she is very reverent (perhaps overly reverent?) of quilting, and because I knew she'd genuinely like whatever I was able to make, imperfections and all. She's great like that. Then in April, Varu shocked us all by announcing her pregnancy, so I started scheming quilt #2.

Years ago, in the interest of not kidding myself, I set free the notion that I was a person who did "crafts".  I was bad at them, uncommitted to them, and didn't need to continue spending money trying to find my "thing" and ultimately feeling like an inept boob. So it was to my great surprise that after completing two quilts in as many months, I wanted to make a thousand more. I was not tired of them. Quilts suit me: pattern, puzzle, coziness. And they're two-dimensional so I feel like as long as a quilt is flat and can warm you, it's not a complete failure.

So I think I have a hobby! It's not terribly butch or hip but at least I'll have a skill to offer my encampment in the post-apocalypse besides.....being fun at parties? (I did once win a dance contest at a bar.) Don't tell me we're not gonna throw ragers in the post-apocalypse. I couldn't bear it.

9 comments:

  1. I love the animated quilt!

    I have a lot of hobbies and I never thought I'd get into quilting. It sort of happened by accident but it's nice and you end up with something useful in the end rather than useless clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the first person besides family I would pick for my post apocalypse camp. We're gonna need to laugh.
    I got into sewing as a kid, but I'm not good at finishing products and I feel like what I make is so amateur that I can't wear it. Quilts are different. I'm not good at the geometric parts - all my quilts are square, or lines. But as long as they are finished, they are useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well color me impressed, chica. quilting is a thing i would like to get into-my old piano teacher made a quilt for me as a high school graduation present and i treasure it above many many things. these babies in your life are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started a paper piecing quilt last winter. As the days got warmer and my other hobby (hiking) started taking over my little free time (oh yeah, and I got a job...) I fretted that I would be seen as another person that didn't finish projects. Forrest has assured me that it can totally be a winter hobby.

    And I LOVE the idea of making baby quilts. SO MUCH love.

    (And like Alix, I like quilting because I don't end up with ugly clutter shit.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love for quilting to be my hobby, but after I broke two sewing machines trying to make a slipcover I decided that crafting is REALLY not my thing. (Also, my arm almost fell off spray painting curtain hardware. I can't do anything.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all for accepting that crafting is not your thing. Something may come along and surprise you, but if not, you weren't expecting it in the first place, right?

      Delete
  6. I love your quilt gif! I like quilting too - and I find baby quilts to be perfect. I can get through a 1-2 in a year, whereas I have a 2/3 finished full-sized quilt that's been living in a trunk for years. I should really work on it, but people keep having babies... and those quilts are fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such a manageable size and so much love goes into them.

      Delete
  7. I too revere your quilting prowess! I think quilts are the best thing someone could make you.

    This is inspiring me to finally screw my courage to the sticking place and cut up the fat quarter multipack I ordered on a whim off of Etsy 18 months ago. I have a book and the internet, so surely I can figure out how to make something flat and warm, right?

    ReplyDelete